Join Layne Sharpe on Sept. 26th, from 10am – 2pm at Yarn in the Hollow for the first ASH Hands-on of the year; Indigo dyeing!
Layne will be teaching us how to dye both protein (wool and silk) and cellulose (flax, bamboo, hemp, etc.) fibres using the Workhorse Vat dye method. Participants will learn how to start an Indigo vat for different types of fibres, how to scour their fibres to encourage even dye coverage, and how to dye using indigo. An Indigo dying procedures handout will be distributed to class participants ahead of time via email.
Each participant needs to bring:
- Rubber gloves
- An apron
- A personal mask (your standard Covid protection mask)
- Clothing for messy work, in case of spatter from the vat
- Approximately 100g* of yarn or fabric that is made from Protein fibre (wool or silk)
- Approximately 100g* of yarn or fabric that is made from Cellulose fibre (cotton, bamboo, linen, hemp)
*Please note that this is the recommended weight of fibre so each participant can get dye coverage that is a medium blue depth of shade. You can always bring more, but be aware that there may not be enough dye for extras.
Number of Participants: 10
Location: Yarn in the Hollow (1555 Hammonds Plains Rd, Hammonds Plains), outside in the field behind the house, or in the double garage if the weather is bad. Parking is in the field behind the house, you will be directed when you get there.
Date & Time: September 26th, 10am – 2pm
How to Register:
You can register for this workshop using the gray "Register" button above, on the left.
- All participants at this workshop MUST wear a mask while in the hands-on area.
- Please remember to socially distance, even while wearing a mask.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for use at the hands-on workshop.
- Two different Indigo vats will be onsite; 1 for cellulose fibres and 1 for wool fibres, to spread participants further apart. Please do not crowd the vats.
- A Covid Self-Assessment checklist will be sent to participants the day before the hands-on workshop. Please self-assess before you participate in the hands-on workshop, for everyone’s safety.